Friday, April 21, 2017

Jason For What in 2028?

Jason pops smoke and leaves the AO























I cannot help but see our esteemed Representative from Utah's 3rd Congressional District, Jason Chaffetz, as other than a Walter Mitty would-be tough guy, which is why I like to depict him as an action figure. Something small and harmless, but big in little-boy macho fantasies.

He posted this long goodbye to his political career on his FB page two days ago:
After long consultation with my family and prayerful consideration, I have decided I will not be a candidate for any office in 2018.

Since late 2003 I have been fully engaged with politics as a campaign manager, a chief of staff, a candidate and as a Member of Congress. I have long advocated public service should be for a limited time and not a lifetime or full career. Many of you have heard me advocate, “Get in, serve, and get out.” After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time. I may run again for public office, but not in 2018.

For those that would speculate otherwise, let me be clear that I have no ulterior motives. I am healthy. I am confident I would continue to be re-elected by large margins. I have the full support of Speaker Ryan to continue as Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. That said, I have made a personal decision to return to the private sector.

What did he ever do in the private sector before he ran for Congress? He was a marketing guy for a Utah-based pyramid scheme called Nu Skin International, which is his biggest campaign contributor, and then he unsuccessfully applied for a job with the U.S. Secret Service. It's not like he has a private sector career to go back to.

It's hard to believe that such a major self-promoter as Rep. Chaffetz would ever leave politics. Some don't believe it, and point out that Chaffetz's campaign committee registered the domains Jason2028.com and JasonChaffetz2028.com just a couple weeks ago.

The answer must lie in the world of Utahn politics, where Senator Hatch really is retiring, and the manuvering to replace him is in high gear. Jason no doubt has something in mind for his future, and I don't think it's hawking that get-rich-quick scheme again.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have possess no inside information on the esteemed Mr. Chaffetz, disclaimer thus made, I will cite a comment attributed to the sage Lyndon B.:

"The Senate is chicken soup, the House is chicken...."

TSB said...

Thanks. Who am I to second guess LBJ?

Anonymous said...

TSB: Too many ominous coincidenses going on lately as pointed out by JJ. gwb
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-24/elites-are-orchestrating-global-catastrophe-there-are-many-things-president-does-not

Anonymous said...

TSB: Russia Ready To Send Ground Troops To Syria
(Fars News Agency)
A deployment of Russian troops in Syria may coincide with a deployment of US ground forces to Syria. Two weeks ago, Bloomberg reported that Trump's national security advisor, H.R. McMaster was planning on sending between 10,000 and 50,000 troops to Syria. Needless to say, a showdown between thousands of Russian and US troops in Syria is unlikely to have a happy ending. gwb

Anonymous said...

TSB: Flipper-In-Chief: Trump Caves On Obamacare Subsidies To Avoid Government Shutdown-Ok, is there anything left Trump has threatened to do and then just kicked the can down the road? I can't think of one. gwb

TSB said...

Oh, I can think of some things, mostly having to do with refugees, immigration, and rounding up the bad hombres. And pipelines, and trade. Budget cuts in foreign affairs. Anyway, Trump is pragmatic, not ideological like everyone else in DC, and I think he's happy so long as his issues are moving in his general direction.

Anonymous said...

TSB: I agree. Going after the drug fortunes of El Chapo's associates is a very pragmatic way to get the "wall" built and it will get the Mexican higher ups completely furious. And putting the pressure on the Chi-coms and Russia to cut off fuel to N.Korea is essential. Shutting down the government would have been a loser. gwb